Friday, May 20, 2011

Insurance vs. Assurance

I love how Georgia works (sarcasm). I'll tell you my story with insurance. When I was first diagnosed with Lupus in NY at the age of 14, my doctor (Dr. Smalls) told my parents that I have an expensive disease. I had HIP insurance but once I got sick they were an absolute nightmare, I needed so much authorization before seeing any doctor and it had to be one of their doctors. I remember when my hip joints started to deteriorate I had to jump through hoops to see any doctors (no pun intended). After having enough of that NY had a great insurance from Center Care and I got Medicaid, we were blessed because I was seeing many doctors. (I couldn't stay on my parents coverage because of my illness)

When I reached the point of kidney failure I received Medicare to pay for my dialysis treatment. (Medicaid is in each state and Medicare is nationwide, just wanted to let you know the difference). When I told one of my doctors my family and I were moving to GA they seemed to be concerned and I now understand why. Once I came down here it took some time before I could get insurance because it takes a year to be a resident of the state. Paying for things out of pocket was tough.

Once I got my kidney transplant in 2008 I was told that I would lose my Medicaid coverage one year after transplant and the Medicare would stop 3 years after the date of transplant. Yippie! Here's your kidney, now since you have it we don't have to pay for you anymore. I honestly thought maybe I should just stay on dialysis if that means I get to keep my insurance.

March 2011, I got the notice that my Medicare insurance would be up by the end of April, I knew this day was coming but I didn't know what to do. I was seriously very scared and I think my family shared the same sentiments. I thought to myself God would not bring me this far as with having both hips replaced, all these tests I've done, all these hospitalizations since my teenage years, and a kidney transplant to just drop me. Best believe me God did not drop me!

I once had Medicaid when I got to GA but for the life of me I can not remember why or when it stopped. I printed out a Medicaid application and filled it out, they received it on April 29th, maybe about 10 days after I received a letter saying that I was approved and they would cover any medical expenses that have accrued from the beginning of the year! My family was so happy and relieved! God is good!

Insurance vs. Assurance? Yes having insurance is a good thing but having the assurance that God is working in your favor is a blessing! Thank you God for loving me!

1 comment: